Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Of pencils and sunsets...

Well, today I started off writing a blog post the old-fashioned way: pencil on regular, lined paper. Just when I was about to launch into the loveliness of the cathartic feeling of writing and erasing whatever you want to change, I realized something. There I was, alone on the upper deck of the Gozo ferry, just as the sun was about to set. I grabbed my camera and thought I'd catch some awesome picture of the pretty colours everyone says sunset makes.

Leaving Gozo, just before sunset

Yepp, as everyone says. Because until this evening I had never experienced the sun setting. This may seem weird since I live on an island which isn't as urban as smaller cities in bigger countries, but I just never was in the right place at the right time. I'd barely even know which way to look since my directional skills are near-crap and the only reason I'm sure that the sun rises in the east is because the east is the 'Land of the Rising Sun'. Yeah, I'm that bad.

But anyway, this time I was finally in the right place at the right time. Luckily for me, the upper deck area I was in was deserted, probably because it was too cold out for any sane person. So there I was, happily snapping away until I realized all this. There I was, watching the sunset alone, with the wind whipping around me, the waves crashing beneath me, and a light humming sound coming from the ferry itself. Just sitting there surrounded by nature was so peaceful, and I didn't experience that whole romantic-watching-the-sunset feeling at all. I just felt that that moment was mine, and no one else was experiencing it quite like I was. And I was happy. I've often felt that my life is too rushed, flitting from one thing to the next without much of a chance to gather my thoughts, so much so that at night I sometimes have to wonder whether I'd done anything for myself that day.

Today, allowing myself that moment of peace and letting my thoughts wander was my gift to myself. As cliche' as it sounds, I lived in the moment, and I've got to start doing that more often.

This was about the time I realized it was too windy to take any good pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raylene, love your gorgeous sunset photos, they are beautiful. Love too that you found a moment for yourself, slowed down and just enjoyed - something I think we all forget but absolutely need.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog - I look forward to popping in and seeing more of what you are up to. Take care.
    Carly

    ReplyDelete